NEWS · LORE · FORUM · JOIN US

It is currently 2024 Apr 28 (Sun) 9:19 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Accepted: [app] Zuyala Arcane mage 
Former Member

Class: Paladin
Post Accepted: [app] Zuyala Arcane mage
Name: Zuyala
Race, Class, and Main Spec: Troll mage, arcane
Armory Link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Zuyala

What's your name and where are you from?
The name is Michelle and I am from belgium, do not mistake me for talking french I am dutch/flemish ^^

How old are you? Please give your answer in Reverse Polish Notation.
Took me some time to figure this one out! never heard of it before
but here goes
10 12 +

How long have you been playing WoW? What experience do you have of endgame raiding?
I have started Wow for the very first time at the launch of TbC, never managed to understand the game nor did I get that toon to maxlvl either. I stopped playing around level 45-ish (that same hunter is now on DB and lvl 71)
I rerolled with my ex boyfriend and another friend on DB with WotLK, this very mage. At first I slacked at leveling her up, but once I reached 80 I have raided every content, never fully cleared Ulduar however and have farmed Icc10 for a while now aswel, I know every boss (even LK even if I only tried him once in Rargs pug)

Is this your main? How often do you play this character? Tell us about your other characters, including any serious alts.

This is indeed my main but I have been playing her less over the last few months due to gearing up my holy paladin and the raiding being paused in my guild and I didn't feel the urge to go PUG around anymore.
Aside from Zuyala I have:

* Gallyndra level 80 Holy paladin < The Sunfury Elite> an rp and pvp toon wich is also geared for healing ICC
* Najwah level 71 survival hunter <Second Gurubashi Empire> who will be mainly focussed on pvp and rp
* Mearle level 36 holy priest <Truth of Tao Zen> so far just rp and levelling on her
* Siyalà level 64 Frost Death knight <Heritage> nothing specific going on on her, nor an intention on levelling her rapidly, merely created for rp

What's your complete guild history, on this realm as well as any other? Why did you leave / are you leaving your current or previous guild?
I started out in < Duskblood Bloodline> an rp guild wich disbanned due to leaders leaving over night, we reformed as <legacy of the dusk> again we disbanned due to leader transferring to alliance.
After that I have joined <Mutiny> as my first social/raiding guild, unfortunatly I did not like the slow progress and the like so I left my position as raidingofficer and joined < Brotherhood of Doom> things went better in there for raiding, but the 6/7 raiddays was too much and completely killed my fun for the game, I actually left the game for a while after that and when I got back I joined <Heritage> an off-spring of mutiny but with the better raiders.
Up untill recently I enjoyed it in there, but then things where starting to annoy me in the leading of the guild and how things went, and again the "being stuck on progress" part, where the line between being a social raidingguild got a bit messed up and held us back. so I 'm intending on shortly dropping out, but not before I have had a decent talk with the guildleader together with the displeased members.

Provide the names of some people we can get in touch with in-game as references. Please note that references are required: give names of characters on other realms, if necessary. If you know anyone on the Path, either in-game or IRL, mention that here also.
In LP I can name Xavier, Savian and Florizel they know me personally and might give some info on my personality, other then that you are free to poke any member of Heritage available, however I doubt the guildleader himself might be very positive due to the latest events.
Some in Heritage often available are Rosalinde, Cyaskor, Bellaonyx, Anthology, ... well as said, many should be able to vote.
I recommend not poking Yazu or the guildleader himself (nayan, relthar, feldoras, njemta,....) before I have left the guild or before he knows anything about the members being unhappy about things are going.

What is your role in raids? How do you judge whether you're doing a good job or not?
My role in raids aside from being a DPS is being aware of the fight and manage to put the tactics into actions, with not failing this will in the end contribute to a succesfull bosskill for the entire raidgroup of the guild, I see myself as part of it, but only together things will eventually bring us succes.
If I manage to do that, know my class and abilities and act accordingly I think I am doing a good job.

Describe your choice of spec, how you came to your current build, and any other things you feel we should know about why you spent your talent points the way you did.
I have been fiddling around with my spec for a few days when I joined Brotherhood of Doom together with my classleader to get to know each and every thing in the tree and thus get to know my class better.
I chose arcane the moment I dinged 80 as it was (and still is) the best dps spec for a mage, does not mean I have not tried fire but it's a spec I do not particulary like.
Every talent point is considered a boost of my dps, spells and other abilities aswel as threadreduction and manamanagement, I have taken out the hit talent because my gear provides me with more hit then needed already.

Where do you go to read about your class outside of the game?
I mostly go to Elitistjerks, but I like live discussions with people ingame more, with someone who has the same class, having some races on dummies and see what the other does and trade some hints and tricks.

Please provide the following (you may link them or attach them directly to your post). For both, you may capture either a 10- or 25-player raid, and VoA is perfectly acceptable.
    • a screenshot of your UI during raid boss combat; and
    • a log parse from a 10- or 25-player raid boss encounter using worldoflogs.com or similar.

Screenshot was taken back in the days of Brotherhood of Doom, it has not really changed aside from some colours/sizes of things

I hope this wowmeter link will work, it's from our last ICC I have attended with the guild. I must add that I was not fully focussed then because 2 days before that my father passed away, I was merely there for some distractions and after that I haven't been around for a while and then the raiding was put to a hold for the summer.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... #damageout
Roleplaying Section: End your application with a short in-character biography, a note from your character to the officers, or other RP story or RP statement about yourself. Effort is much more appreciated than length or content, and your application will not be considered without it.

Zuy'ala sat quietly at the campfire, staring into the flames as she let her mind wander to the past years. closing her eyes with a serene and calm expression on her face as she curls her hands into her lap. The visions of the last ten years invading her mind, as she gets drawn back in time and her memories start playing inside her head.

All this was planned by the Loa, and she had given in to their call and will but it did not mean that it has been easy on the female. After her brother had left their village in Dun'Morogh to become a primal, she started to feel the desires of the Loa herself and departed into the world. Leaving her parents while searching her path in life.
The young troll was not prepared enough for the dangers in unknown lands, walking into a human who could see great potential in the defenseless girl. And thus she ended up inside the city of Stormwind, treated like trash and being nothing more then a mere slave. Zuy'ala endured it, something in all this made it worthwile, yes ... her "master" was a well practised magister, and over the years she managed to learn, without him noticing. Her powers grew stronger, she learned to control the most volatitle magics and while time passed, years flew by but in the end ... He got what he deserved, once the now grown woman did not need him anymore, she just had to flick her wrist to end his life. And hers could start again, free of his tiranny, away from this city.

Additional notes. Optionally, mention anything else you'd like us to know about your application.
i am fairly sure that your team of officers will ask the relevant questions needed to see if i will fit into your guild if there is anything missing in the information

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 8:53 pm
Officer (Retired)

Post Re: [app] Zuyala Arcane mage
Hey Michelle, thanks for the app. I'll start with some questions:

Gameplay:

• What, in terms of game mechanics, does an arcane mage bring to the raid besides just DPS?
• What advantage do we gain from bringing an arcane mage instead of a hunter or a destro warlock?

Guild life:

• I'm interested in your comment about your previous guild having trouble changing from a social to a raiding guild. What do you see as the difference? Can a guild be both? Should it be?

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 9:29 pm
Former Member

*slurps some more coffee*
Here we go!!!

Quote:
• What, in terms of game mechanics, does an arcane mage bring to the raid besides just DPS?

Everyone knows the lovely strudels of a mage, who wouldn't want them ^_^
Kidding aside, they are a part of it and aside from this we bring our own buffs, just as any other class would have their own specialties to earn a spot in the raid
(You can't deny that arcane mages are OP dps however *winks*)
I would boast about our supreme portalservices aswel but I don't think they are relevant in raiding ;)

Quote:
• What advantage do we gain from bringing an arcane mage instead of a hunter or a destro warlock?

I'm afraid I have to admit that I can't recall what a destro warlock brings to a raid. So I will reply with what I do know and that is the addition of Focus magic and Arcane brilliance on buffs, both being rather desirable buffs for a raid, while sadly a hunter has none of such but remains a nice addition dps-wise because I know what a hunter can pull off

Quote:
• I'm interested in your comment about your previous guild having trouble changing from a social to a raiding guild. What do you see as the difference? Can a guild be both? Should it be?

Heritage did not change from social to raiding, we started out as a specific social raidingguild but the lines between serious raiding and social became rather blurry.
It's perfectly possible to be both, but in Heritage it started to become more social in our membersection, and I'm very serious when it comes to raiding, so when you often have to take socials who are far less geared and have less know-how and cause you to be stuck on progress (read 6 lockouts of wiping on sindragosa while all server has downed LK in 10-man) because every week we would have a complete different setup, with another set of people who had to learn to fight.

Our "core" didn't exist out of 10 raiders but merely 2 healers, 2 tanks and 2 dps that would always be around.

You see, wiping is not a problem, but if it's caused due to wobbly signups and people not being serious enough because -we are just a social raiding guild- then it becomes rather annoying.
And also the raidleader actually just not being able to listen to advice and go a little ego-mode...
One of the reasons I am leaving aswel, I am an officer but have no say in anything, not applications, not tactics ... no input at all

I hope I've anwered all these to your liking, the kidding and joking aside that is ^^
If there is more you wish to know, just shoot and I'll do my best to write down what I know and who knows I might end up learning something new aswel (always fun!)

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 10:17 pm
Former Member

Couldn't find the edit button <.<

Reread my reply and Haven't really responded to the last part of your last question.

Yes a raiding guild can also be a social one, if there are concrete lines between who is social and who is raider and have a steady and core group for the raiding while the rest is around for social behaviour.
However it's not needed to be like that, you can be socially active without having that aspect inside your guildranks, if you get along well and people know when to get back to serious.

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 10:22 pm
Officer (Retired)

Zuyala wrote:
Couldn't find the edit button <.<

There's not one. Not for applicants, anyway.

I was thinking of this http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31583 and, depending on your spec, this: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=12873, which you could compare to the various warlock pet auras or hunter procs and aspects in terms of usefulness. Every DPS class brings things to the raid that affect the DPS of others, not just buffs.

Thanks for your answers to the other stuff. Folks will be along to bombard you again soon I'm sure.

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 10:41 pm
Former Member

Since I have never really studied into other classes (perhaps I should) I wasn't fully realising over talents in raiding, must have missed out on the tooltip on arcane empowerment ... see i did learn something again ^^

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 10:58 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Mage
Right first things first: *gives Mich a tight hug* hey babe, good to see you here!

As far as srs biznis questions, mage-wise, I don't have much. Spec is great, better than mine in some ways, gemming is perfect. All that I can point out is the fact that you're about 100 points over the hit cap, but you've noticed yourself no doubt and I know how difficult it is to dump that extra hit for haste because 10man items are just poorly itemized.

Thumbs up from me! 8-)

2010 Aug 04 (Wed) 11:41 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Warlock
Zuyala wrote:
I'm afraid I have to admit that I can't recall what a destro warlock brings to a raid.

Ouch! Just kidding. I'm affliction, and we all know that destro locks are just emo fire mages.

If I may ask a more general theory question: you mentioned that one of the ways you look to improve your DPS is with competitive target dummy practice (sounds kinda fun, actually — never tried it myself). I tend to think of the target dummy as the 'lab test' DPS, versus the 'field test' that are the bossfights. In ICC, what fight do you find it the hardest to keep your DPS up in (Hellscream's Warsong not withstanding), and how do you try to work around the fight mechanics (having to move, target switch, etc.) to make sure you're getting the most out of your rotation?

2010 Aug 05 (Thu) 3:23 pm
Former Member

Ah but even if the dummies are not a full indication on what your dps will look like in a bossfight it does show if some minor changes up the dps or not.

I remember at the start of ICC, I had a lot of problems keeping my dps up in movementfights. losing stacks, having to move and clipping off arcane missiles.... it's nefast for a mages dps.

By now the first 3 in icecrown hardly prove a problem to just nuke, mostly I'm a fast tabber if it comes to target switch, and at such a point I do clip of midcast if needed, adds need to die no matter if it ruins the rotation at that point (deathwisper).
Saurfang does not show many issues in targetswitching for me either

Now most know that festergut is -kinda- faceroll aside from the spores, and thx to the lovely blinking as a mage it leaves me enough time to fire my spells and time my stacks and don't lose my dps.

So far I have mastered to keep up my rotation and stacks with the movement needed on Rotface, the only thing killing it getting targetted by the slimes.
I have not downed the prof that often but targetting around for the slimeadds has not yet proved a problem, and here it's a bit bad to finish a spell when you get targetted by the mallible goo (or what was it called) before you move away.
Sometimes you can time things and keep going, other then that you are plain stupid if you wish to finish a spell just for the sake of dps cause it might kill you in some fights and mechanics.
a dead dps doesn't do any dps afterall

Other then that i am still learning on doing the same in the blood quarters, especially the princes are not easy to go around because it's a lot of targetswitching especially if I am put on the kinetic bombs

So wall of text aside, the way in learning to deal with the movement is mastering the mechanics of a fight and learn to time it a little, if you know when and what will happen you can calculate that into your rotation to minimize the loss of the dps, as rotface is a great example on that with the slimespray.

2010 Aug 05 (Thu) 4:35 pm
Officer (Retired)

Thanks for your very complete answers. We're prepared to offer you a trial on the basis of this application, so whisper me, Ekhan, Zalmoxis, Denathos, Narushka, Kainé, or Nímue if and when you decide to join.

I understand there are still some issues to be worked out, though, so just know that the offer stands open for a while if you can't accept immediately.

2010 Aug 05 (Thu) 4:43 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]