NEWS · LORE · FORUM · JOIN US

It is currently 2024 Apr 29 (Mon) 12:31 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
Accepted: Saliri - Disc/Holy Priest 
Former Member

Class: Priest
Post Accepted: Saliri - Disc/Holy Priest
Name:
Saliri Ivorytusk
Race, Class, and Main Spec:
Female Troll Disciple Priest. Offspec: Holy
Armory Link:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Saliri

What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Kym, I'm from Holland. I live in Groningen

How old are you? Please give your answer in Reverse Polish Notation.
I'm 5 6 + 2 x

How long have you been playing WoW? What experience do you have of endgame raiding?
I've been playing WoW for 6 years now, if I remember correctly. Could be 5, I'm not exactly sure. I started a few months after WoW's release.
In vanilla I've experienced sadly only MC and Razorgore.
In TBC, I did Kara, Gruul, Mag, MH and BT.
In Wrath, I've done everything except Lich King and hardmodes in ICC.

Is this your main? How often do you play this character? Tell us about your other characters, including any serious alts.
I do consider Saliri my main, even-though I do have another level 80 character. During the summer I have not been playing my priest a lot, since there was not much to do for me except heroics.
My alts are the following: Yiji, level 80 shaman in Second Gurubashi Empire.
Tillyan, level 24 rogue on Argent Dawn
Tristinia, level 70 paladin on The Sha'tar.

The other realm alts are characters that are mainly RP alts, that I play with friends.

What's your complete guild history, on this realm as well as any other? Why did you leave / are you leaving your current or previous guild?
This character has race and server-changed quite a bit, but the three main guilds that she has stayed in are the following.
The Shining Strand : Transfered away after it died (again) to go and play on Argent Dawn. I loved my time there, and it was through no fault of their own that I left. I still had a character in that guild, I just transfered this particular character. (about 2 years ago)

The Lockwood Society : Roleplaying guild on Argent Dawn. Transfered off after an RL conflict with the guild leader and because I started a busy course in college at that time too. ( about... 6 months ago, give or take)

Heritage : Left recently after discussions with the guild leader did not end in a satisfactory solution for me ( and several others ). I also lost my confidence that they would be capable of killing Lich King, which is one of the few goals I have left in this game.

Provide the names of some people we can get in touch with in-game as references. Please note that references are required: give names of characters on other realms, if necessary. If you know anyone on the Path, either in-game or IRL, mention that here also.
Horde: Savian, Zuyala
Alliance: Dahian, Jonkar, Amaryl (they will know me under a different name)
Other realms: Everine and Silmira (Argent Dawn). Polleen and Nawani (The Sha'tar)

What is your role in raids? How do you judge whether you're doing a good job or not?
My role as a Healing Priest is to try and make sure that no members of the raid die. Ofcourse, this is sometimes unpreventable, due to game-mechanics, bad luck or influences from a raid member themselves.
As a healer, you can never do your job alone in a raid, as much as I'd be proud to say I could. I judge my healing on the facts if there are people that have died, whose deaths could have been prevented.

Describe your choice of spec, how you came to your current build, and any other things you feel we should know about why you spent your talent points the way you did.
My discipline spec utilizes all beneficial raid talents that are in there. I believe I came to my current build by looking at the builds that priests from top 10 world raiding guilds use.

Perhaps I could also use Absolution, but I feel that having another emergency button in Desperate Prayer is better then have the 10% reduced cooldown. Since I have found that I have not been caught in a situation where it could have saved a tank.

For my Holy spec I use Spell Warding instead of Divine Fury. I personally think that the 10% reduced spell damage helps more then 0.5 seconds off of Greater Heal, especially in ICC. In my opinion, GHeal should only be cast with 2-3 stacks of Serendipity up.

I might switch out some points from Test of Faith towards Blessed Resilience, but that would need some additional research.

Where do you go to read about your class outside of the game?
Most information I have collected about my class comes from Elitist Jerks. There have also been a few helpful hints on Maintankadin. There are still some things that I would like to read up on, because it has been a while since I have been needed to heal as Discipline.

Please provide the following (you may link them or attach them directly to your post). For both, you may capture either a 10- or 25-player raid, and VoA is perfectly acceptable.
    • a screenshot of your UI during raid boss combat; and
    • a log parse from a 10- or 25-player raid boss encounter using worldoflogs.com or similar.

http://nl.tinypic.com/r/1y7psy/4

I use MikScrollingBattleText with DBM. Since this screenshot was taken after the boss was down, there is only one message from MSBT visible.

I can only provide logs with myself as Holy, since I was usually forced to spec that during raids in Heritage (they had a dedicated disc priest)
Note that in those logs, I always have to compete against a Holy Paladin, so it might give a skewed representation.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/14931704 (From Lord Marrowgar and down)

Roleplaying Section: End your application with a short in-character biography, a note from your character to the officers, or other RP story or RP statement about yourself. Effort is much more appreciated than length or content, and your application will not be considered without it.

"Wha' a night eh?" Saliri muttered to nobody in particular as she looked at the moon shining brightly over the great sea. Perched high on the tops of the cliffs in the Hinterlands, the female sighed a little to herself. While Northrend had been a continent of great wars and fantastic victories, she missed the simple things in life. Things like a moon rising over the ocean, crickets in the grass and not the constant moaning of the living dead.

A chilling whinny brought her back into the mind of reality as her dark-red armoured skeletal horse scraped it's bony hoof onto the grass.
"Ahkey, ahkey.. calm daon. Ye can go a'ead ta de village, A'll be rait dere." The slim female stood back up and brushed the dust from her flowing robes as the undead horse whinnied again before starting a gentle trod down the ramp, leading to the coast.

She raised her head towards the sky and took a small feather from a stack in her belt.
"Great Legba, accept dis small offerin o' a eagle featha ta grant me a safe passage down dis cliff." She closed her eyes and stepped over the edge of the cliff. But the Priestess did not fall, at least.. not as fast as one normally would. The offering to Legba had been accepted as Saliri gently floated down the steep cliff-face towards the coastline.

The reanimated mount looked up as it's mistress floated down to saftety. If it were capable of speaking, the words it had most likely spoken would have been...
"Bloody showoff"

2010 Aug 07 (Sat) 8:15 pm
Former Member

Post Re: Saliri - Disc/Holy Priest
Greetings Saliri and thanks for your application, I enjoyed reading it. I'd like to ask few more questions.

-Looking at your gemming and enchanting has left me bit puzzled. Would you put these stats in order, wich are most important for you as healing priest : Intellect, haste, spirit, mp5, cirt, stamina. Is there any difference in these between holy and discipline specs?

-Have you checked our raiding times? How do you see them fitting for you? Is there any IRL events incoming during this autumn/winter (that you know of) wich may take you away from the game for long periods of time?

-Since Cataclysm is getting closer and closer, how's your motivation to raid during these last months of WotL?

2010 Aug 07 (Sat) 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Former Member

Narushka wrote:
Greetings Saliri and thanks for your application, I enjoyed reading it. I'd like to ask few more questions.

-Looking at your gemming and enchanting has left me bit puzzled. Would you put these stats in order, wich are most important for you as healing priest : Intellect, haste, spirit, mp5, cirt, stamina. Is there any difference in these between holy and discipline specs?

The importance of these stats are different between a Discipline and a Holy priest. While I do not know the exact order, I would prioritize the stats you listed in the following way.

Discipline: Intellect, Crit, Haste, Spirit, Stamina, Mp5. MP5 has very little use for a Disc priest, because of your mana regeneration via Rapture. Crit is very important because of Divine Aegis.

Holy: Intellect, Spirit, Haste, Mp5, Stamina, Crit. Crit is a lot less useful for Holy, because it has no benefit other then Inspiration. Spirit is a very good stat as Holy because of Enlightenment and Mp5 helps me a lot with mana management in combination with Holy Concentration.

I have been considering to switch out a few of my double-coloured gems in favour of pure ones, I will have to see how it affects my stats. I do use two sets of weapons though; staff for Disc, 1h+OH for Holy.

Quote:
-Have you checked our raiding times? How do you see them fitting for you? Is there any IRL events incoming during this autumn/winter (that you know of) wich may take you away from the game for long periods of time?

After checking up with Savian, I have no problems with the raiding times. If there are any unforseen issues that have come up, I have the contact details of people to inform the leadership.
The only event that I can think of right now that would take me away from the game for a few days, would be Christmas time. But I would expect quite some people to be away from the game at that time.

Quote:
-Since Cataclysm is getting closer and closer, how's your motivation to raid during these last months of WotL?

My motivation to raid right now is pretty high, because I want to see The Lich King dead before Cata comes. That's not to say I will quit immediately afterwards, but I want to say I beat the game on one of it's difficulty settings. I have not managed that before (never killed KJ, killed Illidan after the WotLK patch). Plus... I've always wanted to fly a proto-drake ;)

2010 Aug 07 (Sat) 9:52 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Mage
Sorry for the late reply, raid kept me busy! (Damn people outrolling 90's) But yeah, vouch for the Sal, I like him but then again, that goes for all the recent apps 8-)

Naru hit you with the class stuff so I'll leave you to it hehe.

2010 Aug 08 (Sun) 2:02 am
Officer (Retired)

Class: Druid
Greetings Saliri,

I've got some follow up questions from Narushka's post. Even though I have a disc priest alt myself I haven't really been rading on it yet. But information I received from stat priority leaves me a bit puzzled over your gemming aswell, so the following questions is more of a question for me to get another view of the disc priest :D .
You gem primarly for Spellpower which is good but I can't find a single haste gem. Even though you are at the haste cap it still does a lot for reducing the spell time of your greater heal when tank healing and PoH when raidhealing, doesn't all the extra crit make you overheal a lot more than if you would have been able to land that PoH before that shammy could chain heal them up?
Also what I've been learned is when going for a socket bonus it should always involve a Spellpower combination since it's the best stat for a disc priest, and you have been gemming a lot of crit/spirit combos aswell as pure crit and also some stm combinations, why is that?
And final question :D : About your spec it seems very good, but 2 points in Healing Focus instead of 2/2 in aspiration really makes me wonder. Why don't you want to reduce the cooldown on the best single target heal in the game?
Oopsie thought of another question aswell :lol: What's your opinion on Glyph of Flash Heal? I always thought the major glyphs where set in stone for disc priests the other 2 are awesome.

Otherwise good luck with your app :D

2010 Aug 08 (Sun) 8:35 am
Former Member

Quote:
You gem primarly for Spellpower which is good but I can't find a single haste gem. Even though you are at the haste cap it still does a lot for reducing the spell time of your greater heal when tank healing and PoH when raidhealing, doesn't all the extra crit make you overheal a lot more than if you would have been able to land that PoH before that shammy could chain heal them up?

In my experiences, I have never raid-healed as Discipline, because to my knowledge, Holy is a better raid healing spec then Disc. I might switch out my T10 for a differently gemmed version, but again, I'd have to see how it works out best.

As for tank healing, if I remember correctly, Pennance can heal just as much, if not more then a Greater Heal. While it does have a cooldown, I have not yet seen an encounter where back-to-back Greater Heals would be needed.

(It has been a while since I did ICC as Discipline, so I might have overlooked some things)

Quote:
Also what I've been learned is when going for a socket bonus it should always involve a Spellpower combination since it's the best stat for a disc priest, and you have been gemming a lot of crit/spirit combos aswell as pure crit and also some stm combinations, why is that?

As I have said above, I have been thinking to change most of dual-colour gems to match better. The stamina and SP gems were used to give some added survivability before I started raiding.

The crit and spirit combo's were added to cater to both specs at the same time.

I will take another look at my gems soon, see what can or needs to be changed.

Quote:
About your spec it seems very good, but 2 points in Healing Focus instead of 2/2 in aspiration really makes me wonder. Why don't you want to reduce the cooldown on the best single target heal in the game?

I used to believe that nothing could beat pushback resistance, especially in an instance like ICC with so much raid-wide damage flying everywhere. And since you cannot always count on having a Holydin for Concentration Aura, I thought it best to prevent pushback to the minimum.

It has been a very long time since I created this spec, and I have not re-evaluated it in quite some time. Might take a look at the effect of 1/2 Healing Focus and no Desperate Prayer with 2/2 Aspiration.

The thing that concerns me though, is that most specs are aimed at 25-man raids, where a Holy Paladin is almost always a presence, which is not always the case in 10-man. Thus they usually do not take into account, the things that a 10-man raid can miss.

Quote:
What's your opinion on Glyph of Flash Heal? I always thought the major glyphs where set in stone for disc priests the other 2 are awesome

The first two glyphs are set in stone, yes. But the third glyph is debatable, depending on which spell you use the most. Since I use Flash Heal more then I use Prayer of Healing (Because again, I have more of a tank healer as Disc, then a raid healer), I saw more use in using the FHeal glyph.

I hope that answers your questions.

2010 Aug 08 (Sun) 12:00 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Paladin
Hey!

I hope once hardmode season kicks off again, you'll be a little bit more vigilant about things like e.g. re-evaluating your spec and making sure it's the best one for the challenges we're currently facing. Being geared is an ongoing process, not something that stops once you reach a certain point of preparedness.

In the meantime, on the basis of this impressive application, we're prepared to offer you a trial. Whisper me, Zalmoxis, Ekhan, Denathos, Narushka, Nímue, or Kainé for a ginvite.

2010 Aug 08 (Sun) 4:38 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]