NEWS · LORE · FORUM · JOIN US

It is currently 2024 Apr 28 (Sun) 12:34 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page1, 2  Next
Withdrawn: Tectus - Protection Paladin 

Class: Paladin
Post Withdrawn: Tectus - Protection Paladin
Name:Tectus
Race, Class, and Main Spec: Tauren, Paladin, Protection
Armory Link:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/defias-brotherhood/tectus/simple

Name:Antelia
Race, Class, and Main Spec: Blood Elf, Hunter, Marksmanship
Armory Link:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/defias-brotherhood/antelia/simple
(Do not worry about the gear, I can farm more JP items and boe crafted to get her going and raid ready at around 350ilvl)

What's your name and where are you from? Personal info I would like to keep for the private forum, not the public section or in-game I have np.

How old are you? Please express your answer in Reverse Polish Notation.
(*(-9 1)(+2 2))

How long have you been playing WoW? What experience do you have of endgame raiding?
Since release.
Pre-TBC: MC/BWL/ZG/AQ(20/40)/Nax(40)up till thaddius (Till AQ40 I was raid leader)
TBC: Kara/SSC/TK/BT (till BT I was raid leader)
WoTLK: VoA(10/25)/OS(10/25)/Nax(10/25)/Ulduar10/25 up to Yogg/ToC(10/25)/ICC(10/25)Full clear with plenty HCs/RS10m
Cata: BoT:2/4 but tanked all 4 and BWD:3/6

Is this your main? How often do you play this character? Tell us about your other characters, including any serious alts.
Tectus is my main. My second character Im playing is Antelia and the third is a resto druid named Boval. I was a lot more active in wotlk, if you consider I had 6 80s with which I was pugging raids, but that was Wotlk easy mode.

What's your complete guild history, on this realm as well as any other? Why did you leave / are you leaving your current or previous guild?
My guild history is long but I will mention only the most important stops in my wow life if you will.
-Discipline on Defias Brotherhood, that was way back in the days.
-Incorporated (http://www.inc.si back in the days now they are on wowstead) EU rank 11 at some point, had 25man KT 5th world kill *I was with em from mc to nax40m they moved to Kazzak I still have the GM on my msn friends
-Nada (http://www. nada-guild.com) they were pretty good tbc, but now I think they are frozen
-Genesis ( wowgenesis .19.forumer.com) ranked no1 on Darkmoon Faire, whole guild moved to Shadowsong for more excitement, I didnt follow, it didn't work out at all for them either, same as Inc. have good relations with the GM
-Sidereals on Defias Brotherhood but that didn't go well. They stopped at some point doing 25man I was depressed by people not showing up for LK tries on 25 so I left.
-The Enigma Order on Stormreaver, where I got my 25man achievs on pala but only for a short period of time, I wanted to move my pala to DB to have em all together here.
Recently I was in Sovereign, that didnt go well (I moaned at someone bout his performance on an achievement run, he then told me to speak to him properly or he will get me kicked and I gquit, I dont have room in my life for people who use blackmail. If I want to say something I say it) and joined a newly trasnferred guild here, but they sadly werent really organised, they didnt know how many tanks they were inviting so I saved them the drama and trouble and let them keep the other tanks they invited (since they said from start they didnt like the fact that I was the same class/spec as the GM) They are decent chaps and wish em well tbh, but couldn't start from raid one on the bench.

Provide the names of some people we can get in touch with in-game as references. Please note that references are required: give names of characters on other realms, if necessary. If you know anyone on the Path, either in-game or IRL, mention that here also.
This seems a bit too much for a question of background. I have played on DB since vanilla, with my prot warrior female undead named Nexia, which I deleted because I have too many now on DB. I have also played a lot on my prot warrior named Nocen, who is a cow. My other chars [all on DB now are named: Lethandar(priest ud), Xelor(shaman enh/resto) Nedoria (mage this is a rename, she was named Deliria) and Xnarg (DK blood goblin)] Anyone who has pugged in wotlk has met me and if they were around in tbc they should remember Nexia, I was quite active and friendly with others always. I could give names but I respect the privacy of people I think of friends, so no can do on this question.
What is your role in raids? How do you judge whether you're doing a good job or not?
After so many years in this game I perceive my role to be (besides the bla bla normal attitudes) to mind also about what others are doing and to help the raid get over some mishaps or mistakes everyone does, including my own. If all perform 100% and no mistakes happen then, there's not much more besides the obligatory stuff you do. But I always try to do my best, meaning not making life of others harder with how I position myself, how fast I react etc etc.

Describe your choice of spec, how you came to your current build, and any other things you feel we should know about why you spent your talent points the way you did.
Well frankly, all my talent points spent in all my characters come after I have studied class forums on EJ. There is a basic standard for any class and there are just the few 2-3 friggin points left you don't really know where to put. Well I use WoG a lot, I think its great but maybe I will respec after 4.1 patch when it gets a 20sec cd (like Ghostcrawler said so bluntly with the achievement "To the ground!" with the nerfin of palas..) Anyway I hope that won't be an overall big nuissance.

Where do you go to read about your class outside of the game?
I believe I replied on this above. I don't read anything else lately tbh. The class specific sites/forums that exist are interesting but very rarely offer more food for thought than the theorycraft on EJ.

Please provide a screenshot of your UI during raid boss or dungeon boss combat.
I'll offer my favourite, the one I like to show off because it was the first title in Wotlk I got.
http://img844.imageshack.us/f/wowscrnsh ... 34847.jpg/ Was healing that period also, rotating from prot to holy. By the way I didn't mention that I have all the healing classes in game and raided with 'em. In general my total played time is well over 550 days.

Roleplaying Section: End your application with a short in-character biography, a note from your character to the officers, or other RP story or RP statement about yourself. Effort is much more appreciated than length or content, and your application will not be considered without it.
Well I am a bit trifled with this because Tectus was born a human, then became a blood elf and now is a tauren (if you get what I mean :P). So It doesn't serve him justice although he is my main that I present him as a born tauren.. Although since I heard the release of Cataclysm I knew my human paladin would become a prot tauren pala. And well, I am over the RP stories and events (only keep the talking in character playstyle in /say) I could copy paste older stories I have written about my tauren warrior but I won't lie to you. I preffer to reply to you on the next question.

Additional notes. Optionally, mention anything else you'd like us to know about your application.
My main role over the years (if you exclude the period in vanilla where I nuked with my mage) I was more of a tank and a healer. Hunter is one of the few dps classes I enjoy playing because he is a tool (no, not stupid-tool) he is usefull. And i like classes with diversity and rotations etc etc So I wouldn't have a problem to play my hunter when tank spots arent full or if you just want me as hunter. But tbh, I'm too good at that damn tanking business it would be a waste not to use me in that role. (Again, I repeat I have come to a point where I don't mind at all to play with the hunter).

Well as you can tell, I am a knowledgeable player but I have my own perspective and way to see things. If you want to make me do things that I don't appreciate (e.g. type my name in a public forum, or my friends characters) and other stuff, you will first have to convince me that you are right. Don't get me wrong though, I know how hierarchy works, I have been lead and have lead others, so I know what the deal is and when I must shut up and listen and when there is time to debate on matters. But that doesn't mean that I will sit back and let the rest take a wrong route at some point and I will say nothing. I get involved, and try to give feedback because I believe I have the experience to offer valid input in a matter like a possible different approach to a boss fight. But only at the propper time and place.

Thank you for the time you have invested in reading my application. I wish you all the best, whatever the outcome.

2011 Mar 10 (Thu) 11:47 pm

Post Re: Tectus - Protection Paladin / Antelia - Marksmanship Hunter
The screenshot of my UI was outdated, I forgot that part. I made some minor visual changes but it's important you also see the protection mapping of my buttons.

So, here goes: http://img844.imageshack.us/f/wowscrnsh ... 42141.jpg/

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 12:07 am
Former Member

A few questions.

You have reforged dodge/parry to mastery instead of exp/hit into Mastery, why?

and secondly your spec, is it a offtank spec? or is it what you usually use? cause you seem to have gone for survivability on your spec, but threath on the gear?

basically everything seems to be a little mishmashed? is there a reason?

other then that. nice gear, nice application. love the fact that your a vanilla raider :)

cya!

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 12:30 am

Everything I did was intentional, I am 1 point away from exp cap and have a miss chance of 1.x% on 88(the 6% is for white hits, don't think I will trouble myself that much with white hits) lvl from hit. The reforging was intended to go into mastery since it is the paladins main focus in this expansion. I preffered to keep threat based gear and have surv in my spec, and since I wasn't raiding actively thus far I am expecting to get some crucial upgrades through VP and raid items (have the list in my mind at the most percent) so that I will be capped. If you read EJ forums it reads that we shouldn't bother with exp/hit through gemming, which I tried to avoid, but I preffer not to reforge into those stats rather than having the option to gem for them if needed. My mh for example is atm exp/hit which when I get an epic tanking mh will have to be compensated for. Thus far, whenever I tanked never had threat problems anyway except with some 18-20k dpsers who didn't focus on aoe trash packs on my primary target.
I believe in flexibility and with the current level of gear I think it's pretty decent. In general over the years I try to use the most viable spec/gear enchancements according to what I have at any given time. I try to follow the theorycraft but in the end, the best setup of a character is the one that works each time with what you have. I survive in fights, dont give healers that much of a hard fight and my tps is decent with the above said exceptions.

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 12:42 am

I misread your comment, bout the reforge. Well, the basic way of thinking applies. If I did what you say I would be just shifting the problem, I would have very low hit and expertise which would lead to other problems. In general, since I started to tank the prime principle, since I am not a paper tank and I am tanking in groups with high dpsers is to have good threat first and foremost. With the advancement in gear the reforging and the stat focus will ofc switch.
Hope I replied sufficiently. So you get my point, I have a second pair of trinkets.
Throngus's Finger (hc) and Porcelain Crab (hc) which I plan to use if my HP goes up. Sometimes I use the crab anyway, and it's proc is dependant on how many times I hit etc etc

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 12:51 am
Former Member

fair enough, but id still suggest that you go for exp - > mastery instead of parry/dodge if you can, since it only affects your white dmg and that aint rly a problem. own experience, as of me i have 0 expertise baisically, 1% extra hit. and i dont have any threath problems, unless im very unlucky at the start.

and about the healing talents, in raids, you rly shouldnt have to worry that much about it. it IS the healers job, having 5% more avoidance is better then healing for 20 k every ... 6-7 seconds? personal oppinion though.

take me as an example (ive namechanged into Luminor now though)

in raids i have 13% dodge, 15.5% parry and 55% block
i remove alot of dmg which will help the healers alot. and i dont loose aggro as of now. (except in some unlucky cases as stated before, but thats what taunt is there for.)
ofc if it gets worse ill have to adjust.

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 1:25 am

You have to know what happened in between cata release and recent to get why Im so fussed with threat generation. I didn't have time to play from release untill 11 Feb, had some rl stuff. What you see on Tectus (all the reps exalted, the gear etc etc) is the product of 3 weeks of farming. And ofc I was a bit insecure about how tps would work and since I was always the OT in any raid I joined (because I was offline all this time, most other tanks had better gear) I decided to go in a mix state so they don't have to worry bout any aggro spikes from others.
Also the fact that I wanted to experiment and see for myself how the new class mechs work.
Furthermore, the thing is that my gear for now is adequate to sustain any fight in normal mode (I mean 2-3% of dodge and parry don't make that much of a difference atm especially not for palas, and Im still way off the 102.4% cap anyway). When we switch to better gear and harder fights in hc, ofc more sustainability will be the issue (but I do believe that with the dps getting geared also, the TPS problem will show itself if you aren't capped).

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 7:34 am

Oh and the healing talents... since I have barely done any guild raiding if you exclude 1 run the pugs I join I really need to keep the WoG up and ready for some fights, I mean it has kept me up and makes me not waste DP or GoAK. Well, under the circumstances I have made my choices like this, like I said that doesn't mean this will be the case in future, unless in 4.1 more changes and we do have to worry bout exp/hit more.

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 7:40 am
Officer (Retired)

Class: Druid
Hi, i would like to know a bit more about the benching and how you feel about it. And how many tanks did they have/invite etc etc.

And how is your offspecc on your pala? (gear, exp)

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 8:56 am

I understand your concerns, I will explain what happened. It was a newly trasnferred guild with about 6 people that had transferred and the GM was a paladin tank, we talked it over and they invited me first. And as we talked it over he said ok you will be 2nd tank with my in raids, we might get a 3rd tank to back us 2 up. But one day before the first raid, the 2nd officer invited a new tank and he told the GM without asking me at all that I was ok not to tank and that the other tank would be tanking. Ofc you understand that startled me and as we talked it over with the GM he understood that the handling of his 2nd officer lead to either me or the other tank being disgruntled and would probably end up in one of us leaving since we were both invited with the notation that we were going to be tanking. I just made mine and their lives easier but giving up my spot in the guild, I didn't like the way the 2nd officer handled the whole incident, especially the part where he lied to the GM about me saying that I'm ok with not tanking.

As you noticed I have mostly healed as OS and my experience in that field is great. I have atm full heroic holy and dps gear because the last guild wanted me to go retri. I don't really have a problem but my experience isn't good on that spec. I perform decent as ret but not as good as holy and also, I need to read up more on it, because although i push about 11k dps from what I understand I should be pushing more than that with my level of gear.
I'm ok to play any kind of OS.

Now, my feelings about sitting on the bench: First of all, its totally different when I join an already raiding guild (nothing to do with what happened with the earlier mentioned guild I mean) Ofcourse, I would rather work to equip my hunter and either come as tank or hunter than to sit a raid out entirely. I fully understand that there will be times that I won't be able to get an invite. especially in a 10m setup. But if a guild recruits someone and expects of him at least (for example) 75% attendance my belief is that the guild should also be able to offer a spot in raid at the same %, if you understand where I'm going with this. I will not QQ about it if at some point I only attend one raid at some resets, but if I don't get in a raid for a whole reset, well then I will start to ask myself, why did anyone invite me in the first place.

I hope I covered your questions. I'm just being frank about how I perceive things both in my app and in my later replies, so we are both in the same track, if my mentality doesn't suit yours it's fine, its just better to have clarified some things out beforehand and I appreciate the time you take to go into an applicants details.

2011 Mar 11 (Fri) 9:37 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page1, 2  Next