NEWS · LORE · FORUM · JOIN US

It is currently 2024 Apr 29 (Mon) 2:51 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page1, 2  Next
Accepted: Iltharen, death knight 
Former Member

Class: Death Knight
Post Accepted: Iltharen, death knight
Name: Iltharen
Race, Class, and Main Spec: Sin'dorei, very dead. Death knight. Frost DW.
Armory Link: Link

What's your name and where are you from? My name is Julia, I am from Spain.

How old are you? Please express your answer in Reverse Polish Notation.

12 12 +

How long have you been playing WoW? What experience do you have of endgame raiding?

I've been in WoW for a looong time. My obsession started with the Warcraft, and then, moved to WoW. Started back in year 2007, on a private server. The more I learned, the more I liked the game, and felt like experiencing the real gameplay.
In 2009, I started playing in the Laughing Skull server with my Holy Paladin, Ileia. I was inexperienced in raids but had the will to learn. Under that warning, I joined my guild, SOUL. I had the pleasure of playing with very talented guys, which taught me a lot, really. Feels so much of a nab back then!
We raided Ulduar, ToTC, ToTGC and ICC (some heroic bosses). Always 25man, since the guild aimed for 25man always. The guild got some changes, merged with another and there was a better healing team. So I rerolled a DK. I had always liked DKs. I raided as a DPS TotC and ToTGC, and ICC.
Early 2010 I moved, and picked a new job, and when I returned, the guild has essentially disbanded, new guild master, most friends gone, so yeah. I quit WoW for about a year, but I kept up-date with the lore.
Even when I played in LS, I always had my roleplaying comments to other members who usually treated me as if I was insane :D...

I didn't know people actually roleplayed in the official servers, I was very motivated so I transferred to Defias Brotherhood. I had my RP with Sin Belore, met some nice roleplayers, but always had -this something- missing. I needed PvE content. I tried getting people from the guild and other Rp guilds to form a 10man group, but it was fruitless. >:

Since the day I dinged 85, I've been working on my reputations, gear, BoE gear, professions, etc. But I can no longer stand these random pugs when I struggle to get a spot -dontmindtheinsanefrostdkpopulation- and then, someone ragequits. Or gets what he likes, and leaves. Herp.

As for my experience in Cataclysm raiding, I've cleared BWD and BoT. Could never join a pug for Throne, but I've watched videos of the fights. Same with the first

Is this your main? How often do you play this character? Tell us about your other characters, including any serious alts.
Everyday I play, yep. Iltharen is my main.
I have some other lvl 20 alts I tend to use for RP. and well, my first maincharacter which is stuck in LS. But frankly, I'm not playing paladin again.

What's your complete guild history, on this realm as well as any other? Why did you leave / are you leaving your current or previous guild?

My guild history was, in Laughing Skull.

*insert the name of a random social guild*
SOUL*

In Defias Brotherhood.

Sin Belore* (current)

*Story explained above!

Provide the names of some people we can get in touch with in-game as references. Please note that references are required: give names of characters on other realms, if necessary. If you know anyone on the Path, either in-game or IRL, mention that here also.

Unfortunately, I know no one from your guild. I just saw the advertisement in the DB realm forums and then approached to Savian before applying .

People who usually play with me... lets see.
Galion (fun arena and RBG partner)
Devilsgrave, buddy.

Sadly, the ones who used to play with me at LS no longer do.

What is your role in raids? How do you judge whether you're doing a good job or not?
Well, as a DPS deathknight with a free mindfreeze interrupt, I try to use it as much as possible. Even if the range isnt the best, its extremely useful. My CR is also quite useful, but we are now limited to one CR... so D:
And keeping DPS as high as possible ~~

Bad job: fail interrupting timing, taking unnecessary damage. But I know I can solve it once I know the fight.

Describe your choice of spec, how you came to your current build, and any other things you feel we should know about why you spent your talent points the way you did.

I have always liked frost, from the very moment I started my DK back in those days. Even, I've always thought him as a Frost DK, the necromantic ways of the unholy are not my style, really.
Sadly, in Wotlk, unholy was the only viable spec for dpsing, at least, until late wotlk recovered frost dw. But I no longer played in those times.

During 4.1 I played frost2handed, and it was pretty facerolling fun. When 4.2 came out, I learned the "hard" way frost 2handed was below frostdw (yeah, a DK in zandalari/blue gear pushed like me, who was almost full 359).
At first, I was reluctant to go frostdw, had to save money, get the weapons and get used to the spec.
I'm still testing my build in 2-3 talents, because sometimes it feels I am left without runes or runic power.

Where do you go to read about your class outside of the game?
Elitist Jerks, tankspot, mostly. And arena junkies for PvP. I like talking to other DKs who are more experienced and I appreciate their advice.

Please provide a screenshot of your UI during raid boss or dungeon boss combat.

Link!

Roleplaying Section: End your application with a short in-character biography, a note from your character to the officers, or other RP story or RP statement about yourself. Effort is much more appreciated than length or content, and your application will not be considered without it.

Quel'thalas had once been his home, his brethren. But he was now a stranger, an unknown figure, an aberration to the city's beauty and the elves perfection. Even between the ranks of the military organization he had joined, he was nothing but a bleak shadow. He could not see them, but he perceived the scorn of those who noticed his stench of death and winter. He had acted as the link between the Sin Belore and the forsaken, and he had much absorbed their teachings.

In the twisted corridors of the Undercity, the rumors of a new battle had arrived. They spoke of fire and flame, of unbound fury. A war? In Kalimdor? It wasn't the Alliance, it was a force threatening to sunder the very earth. That feeling of unity seemed to return, to awaken. Just like it was before the Fall of the King. Could it be possible? He had to witness it with his own eyes.

Perhaps his runeblade still had a purpose. Perhaps... redemption was not a delusion.

Additional notes. Optionally, mention anything else you'd like us to know about your application.

Uh, I'm used to ventrilo, TS and mumble. My accent is weird I know! But I clearly understand English as if it was my mother language ^^;

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 6:32 am
Former Member

Post Re: Iltharen, death knight
first thing i might say is that i dont think were currently looking for a dk at all. but i might be wrong.

and secondly if i ignore that.

i must say im glad that your english spelling is very good. not alot of mistakes and misshaps.
and everything that i know of dks seems to be in order but thats very little.

Good luck! and have fun playing.

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 11:08 am
Officer (Retired)

Class: Mage
Welcome welcome! Good to see you apply :D

I'll leave this application for our resident not-so-dead former Lich King slave Jotra to comment on since he's well versed in the Death Knightly ways! Good luck with whatever he throws at you.

Sav. 8-)

P.S.: Jia, Jotra himself was very interested in seeing another DK apply hehe so don't worry about it.

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 11:11 am
Former Member

ah. sometimes its good to be wrong eh?

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 11:14 am
Officer (Retired)

Class: Druid
Hey there Julia,

A nice application all-in-all :)

First things first: In the section "How do I apply to join LP" the first sentence state that the username should be exactly the same as your in-game character that your applying with. I'll change this tomorrow to give you some time to see this as you won't be able to login as "Ilth" after I do the changes.

I see you have a blood off-spec. How comfortable are you with tanking and would you be up for it if the guild needs it?

How is your knowledge of the Firelands bosses and previous tier hardmode encounters? We are currently progressing through FL hardmodes and even though your gear seems to be adequate to perform, if you don't have a clue of what your up to there will most likely be some issues.

All for now
/ Vedder

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 5:46 pm
Former Member

Hi there! always nice to see fellow DKs apply :)

At quick glance your gear seems fine, and properly enchanted. You're at exp cap, though I would suggest though using site like wowreforge.com to try get your hit rating bit closer to 8%, since while DW does get small benefit from white hits even after the yellow hit cap other stats offer bigger benefits. You're are also gemming a bit wrong, you should only go for the socket bonus if its either 20 str, or 30 of any secondary stat, otherwise just gem pure str. Finally I found you using tank shoulders kind of strange, but depending what you got available to you it might have been an upgrade.

What do you think are the strengths of frost compared to unholy, and vice versa ? Also why have you chosen frost over unholy at the moment ?

What do you find most fun about playing a DK ?

Whats the AoE priority queue for you ?

How many DKs does it take to change a lightbulb ?

Why did you choose to apply to us over the dozens of other guilds on this server ?

Have you got any Firelands experince at all ?

Thats all for now :)

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 7:38 pm
Former Member

Hey there! Yeah, to clear doubts I first approached to an officer and asked if it was possible a DK application, since I read you needed melee DPS but other classes. He confirmed it, so here I am ^^;

/intimidated >>;

Vedder->
Aaah thank you!

I read through all and for some reason I forgot I had already registered with a silly nickname fffff I apologize. Have it changed or I can make a new account if needed, yep.

Tanking. Well, I currently have the Blood OS to tank dungeons and BH. Each time I've pugged BWD and BoT have been as DPS. I know the fight from a dps perspective, however, I can look into tanking mechanics if it is needed. My tank gear is similar and a bit lower than my DPS gear. Still have one or two 353 items, no pieces of t12 for tank yet.

However, I'd be nervous as hell. But my I train my tanking abilities every day... herp. The new threat mechanic can be a double-edged sword, yet, I think I've managed to handle it.

Hardmodes.
As I said.. I've lived through pugs, luckily they will clear a raid. So I have no real experience in t11 heroic. I've watched the videos of BWD heroic encounters, though.

Firelands.
Again.. the pugs xD I've never done the bosses, but from what I've seen in videos they look quite fun. But correct, I haven't experienced them with my own flesh. It's all theory, even if videos are very useful.
However.. as in most heroic encounters, it is easier to understand their mechanics after playing the normal fight.

Jotra->

Hey!

Yeah, you are right. at first I disregarded the 8% hit since I was DW, focusing only in the yellow hit cap. It can be easily fixed, yep. Same with gems... once I look again at them, I ask myself "wtf was I thinking" xD Thanks for remarking it.

Yeah, my shoulders. I have had horrible luck with the t11 token, and for some weird reason, same with the other alternatives from Halfus and Nefarian, yet I was able to get the tanking ones from the trash. Comparing them to the 353 which drop from the heroics, it was an upgrade. Besides they had mastery, which wasn't completely useless.

Frost vs Unholy. ->

Frost is what I have always considered more fun. For some reason, I can't get in touch with the unholy gameplay. When 4.2 came out, I tried going UH, but I felt uncomfortable, dealing with the shadow infusions, using Death and Decay in fights when bosses were kited. Loss of dps, waste of runes ><

Frost has useful debuffs in physical dmg, while UH has it in magical dmg. Frost provides a haste raidbuff (even if other classes too, though). I like frost due to its burst damage too, UH has a slow and steady dotting, and the pet. UH also has AMS soaking, filling you with RP. Frost may find their cooldowns wasted due to a bad raid situation (like getting a debuff which requires you to run from the raid).
Unholy has this nice passive 20% strenght, while Frost uses Pillar. Yeah, UH has gargoyle, unholy frenzy and dark transformation for burst, but its not compared to the quick and strong blows of FDW..

I also like the fact Frost allows you to use plaguestrike once every several seconds, since frost fever is always up thanks to Howling Blast and rime proccing.

To be sincere, it feels like the game-style of the player is what makes the difference. Same goes for fights where you're required to switch targets. Each spec has their means to do so.

Aah, fun! -> I can easily say is, I love playing my class. In pve, pvp, rp, lore, design fffff.
We have several tools, such as interrupts, silences, slows, "roots", deathgrip, AMS aaand the new favourite, Dark Simulacrum. The funs and joys of that skill!

Also, with Cataclysm and their new priority system, it has become more flexible and enjoyable, at least to me. Back in Wotlk, it felt it was too "rigid".

AoE prio-> I usually open with Howling Blast, Plague Strike and pestilence. Then, HB and whenever the rune cycle permits it, go for Death and Decay. I use Frost Strike so as not to have runic power wasted. Then focus mainly in Howlingblasting and Froststriking. I try to keep my diseases ticking in all targets.

How many DKs does it take to change a lightbulb ? Can I faceroll while doing that? : 'D

Why this guild? Well, it was the RP aspect what attracted me the most. Also the fact there is 'lore' or story surrounding it. I also share the view of enjoying the game and progressing at your own rate instead of focusing in a competitive raiding . The "alive boss" thread was interesting, only consider them dead very dead when they are defeated in HC content.
It was mainly what I have been seeking, both of my previous experiences combined. PvE and RP. Also the age policy, it feels better to be around people of your age, focusing in an adult-only group.

I ignore if there are other guilds which also work like this, but yours was the one I came across, and I pretty much liked it ^^;

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 10:10 pm
Officer (Retired)

Ilth wrote:
How many DKs does it take to change a lightbulb ? Can I faceroll while doing that? : 'D

I'm sorry, facerolling is reserved for Bob, our resident arcane mage ;) Ask him what he's got keybound to '3', really...

2011 Aug 19 (Fri) 11:53 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Druid
Hello Julia!

Nice to see another Death Knight application.

Ilth wrote:
The new threat mechanic can be a double-edged sword, yet, I think I've managed to handle it.

Could you explain why you have found it to be a double-edged sword?

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. at first I disregarded the 8% hit since I was DW, focusing only in the yellow hit cap. It can be easily fixed, yep.

What percentage is the yellow hit cap?

Quote:
Same with gems... once I look again at them, I ask myself "wtf was I thinking" xD Thanks for remarking it.

They look correct from checking just then, which is good!

Quote:
Frost is what I have always considered more fun. For some reason, I can't get in touch with the unholy gameplay. When 4.2 came out, I tried going UH, but I felt uncomfortable, dealing with the shadow infusions, using Death and Decay in fights when bosses were kited. Loss of dps, waste of runes ><

I disliked Unholy too, always a pain in the behind. Jotra only went Frost because I ended up outdpsing him in 4.1 by a large margin in offspec gear. He didn't like that! Kept insulting it and disliking it, but with 4.2, he still hasn't gone back to Unholy. I think he actually enjoys it far more then he lets on!

Quote:

Death Knights don't change lightbulbs, they raise them from the dead!

---

Just a few more unrelated to previous answer questions!

In your pug raid fights, what is your average dps on a boss? (some fights have obvious mechanics which super-charges or impedes, dps, just wondering for your average)

What is your typical tanking rotation/priority ?

Do you use any macros to assist in performing tasks?

Does the rain in Spain stay mainly in the plain?

and Good luck with your application ;)

2011 Aug 20 (Sat) 12:28 am
Officer (Retired)

Also, I want to say that I love to see another Elf that calls Undercity his home! I've been alone in there for far too long.... Most Blood Elves prefer Silvermoon still, but us outcasts like the green and grey darkness of the underground much more :D

Wouldn't mind seeing more of that RP background should you get in, we got our own RP section on the forum to post it!

2011 Aug 20 (Sat) 12:58 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page1, 2  Next