NEWS · LORE · FORUM · JOIN US

It is currently 2024 May 02 (Thu) 2:30 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Accepted: Katriná [Holy Paladin] 

Post Accepted: Katriná [Holy Paladin]
Name:
Katriná
Race/Class:
Blood Elf Paladin
Main Spec:
Holy
Primary Professions:
Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting
Armory Link:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... trin%C3%A1
I may be in PvP gear which I can change soon.
What's your name and where are you from?
Ali from UK
How old are you? Please give your answer in Reverse Polish Notation.
19, no idea what RPN is sorry :(
How long have you been playing WoW?

Is this your main? How often do you play this character? Tell us about your other characters, including any serious alts.
Yeah this is my main. I have a 80 priest which is mostly used to chat to some friends on another realm but nothing else.
What's your guild history? Why did you leave / are you leaving your current or previous guild?
I didn't raid since quite some time and only did the first 4 bosses in ICC.
Provide the names of some people we can get in touch with in-game as references. If you know anyone on the Path, either in-game or IRL, mention that here also.
I am new on the realm which explains why there is nobody you can get in touch with as reference.
What is your role in raids? How do you judge whether you're doing a good job or not?
Personally I keep my most focus on tanks because I it's what I used to do most of the time in the past. Obviously I don't ignore dps but if tanks don't die I'd say I fulfilled my main job. Additionally my role is to keep the blessings buffed.
What's your PvE experience like?
All kills can be tracked in the achievement section of my armory link but overall the most important kills would be 3/5 in totc hc and the first 4 bosses of ICC 25.
Describe your choice of spec, how you came to your current build, and any other things you feel we should know about why you spent your talent points the way you did.
I usually read a lot of posts on Elitist Jerks to keep up to date with new specs and gemming. Currently my main aim for gear is to have a good amount of haste on gear while gemming int. I spec the holy/prot spec because of the imp SS, Divine Guardian and the tol aura in case there is no druid around which might happen in 10man.
Where do you go to read about your class outside of the game?
EJ
Roleplaying Section: End your application with a short in-character biography, a note from your character to the officers, or other RP story or RP statement about yourself. Effort is much more appreciated than length or content, and this section is not optional.
After joining many intense fights between the horde and the alliance to aid veterans of the horde Katriná realised that the war is endless. While walking through the dalaran sewers she noticed a empty feeling inside her that made her more and more depressed. She felt that all her time was wasted and that her combat experience against the alliance was useless. Katriná noticed a orc warrior called Nim'tok dueling a tauren death knight. The fight took quite some time and Katriná envied Nim'tok for his ambition. She remembered most of her alliance in the war as very unfriendly and unhelpful which made her even more interested in Nim'tok since she felt that he looked like a very proud and respectful warrior. While somewhere else on her mind Nim'tok won the fight against the death knight and noticed Katriná watching him. He asked Katriná if she was new in the area since he had spent a lot of time in the sewers on a daily basis. She told him how she felt and Nim'tok offered Katriná to fight by his side in the arena for pride and respect which also meant Katriná's combat experience would not have been wasted.
Katriná knew she had a wild and hectic fights in front of her and could not wait to get to know Nim'tok better.
Additional notes. Optionally, mention anything else you'd like us to know about your application.

2010 Mar 18 (Thu) 7:39 pm
Officer (Retired)

Class: Paladin
Post Re: Katriná [Holy Paladin]
Hey Katrinà, thanks for your application. I look forward to seeing you on the armory in PvE gear. Some class questions:

• Could you rank the following stats for me from best to worst for you? Int, crit, SP, haste, mp5.

• Which enchants do you use on your head, shoulders, and feet and why?

• We require 100% flask uptime in Icecrown. Which will you use?

This isn't really a question, but I can't seem to get your spec to come up in the armory—would you mind building your PvE spec and glyphs into the Wowhead talent calculator real quick and posting the link? I'll probably have some other questions about it and your gear soon!

2010 Mar 18 (Thu) 8:09 pm

Thórva wrote:
Hey Katrinà, thanks for your application. I look forward to seeing you on the armory in PvE gear. Some class questions:

• Could you rank the following stats for me from best to worst for you? Int, crit, SP, haste, mp5.

• Which enchants do you use on your head, shoulders, and feet and why?

• We require 100% flask uptime in Icecrown. Which will you use?

This isn't really a question, but I can't seem to get your spec to come up in the armory—would you mind building your PvE spec and glyphs into the Wowhead talent calculator real quick and posting the link? I'll probably have some other questions about it and your gear soon!

1. I will rank the stats based on how I would gem: Int > Haste > SP > Crit > mp5
2.Head: SP/crit because I want to keep a good amount of crit, Shoulders: SP/crit because I think it is essential to have a good amount of crit for tank healing, Feet: Stamina/speed because it often happens that I may be not close enough to a tank after a certain situation and it additionally helps with moving out of aoe which can be quite annoying for a such a heavy casting class,
3. Depending on the fight I will use the mp5 flask for fights where there is a chance of me going oom or a SP flask otherwise to up my healing output.

I use following spec for PvE: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sxAzxh0sVu0tgdxGzubh:dTw
Also my gear may look a bit outdated since the last time I raided I was farming toc 25 mainly. However I think it is possible to quickly upgrade pieces with the additional badges that I would receive from ICC.
By tomorrow morning my paladin armory can show pve gear.

2010 Mar 18 (Thu) 8:38 pm

Hi there,
Sorry I was tired when I made the spec and it ended up a bit different than mine.
I use
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sxAzgM0s ... GzubZM:dIw

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 10:48 am
Officer (Retired)

Class: Warlock
Hey Ali, thanks for the application and the response to Thórva's questions. A couple of my own:

-For those of us who don't heal, could you give us an idea of (or an example of) the difference between a fight where you might go oom (and hence use a different flask) or one that you would rely on pure SP for?

-Your gear looks quite current with the content we're working on, which is a big plus! What are the next two pieces you're looking to get your hands on, and why? (emblem or drops)

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 3:02 pm

Zalmoxis wrote:
Hey Ali, thanks for the application and the response to Thórva's questions. A couple of my own:

-For those of us who don't heal, could you give us an idea of (or an example of) the difference between a fight where you might go oom (and hence use a different flask) or one that you would rely on pure SP for?

-Your gear looks quite current with the content we're working on, which is a big plus! What are the next two pieces you're looking to get your hands on, and why? (emblem or drops)

1. Heavily dependent on encounter in some I may have to spam HL more constant than in others which contributes to making me easier oom. Additionally in some encounters I may not be able to drop DP to regain mana because of the high damage taken by tanks. Most often these kinds of encounters make me oom rather fast but it also happens that often I can spam HL less often and have time to drop DP. Also once more geared up I don't think that going oom would be much of a problem even in extreme situations. Overall this means I don't think I will use the mp5 flask often. However I will use the SP flask in all other encounters because it generally increases the healing output I generate on tanks which helps me secure them.

2. I admit I didn't take a long look at the loot available in ICC but I know what I want to spend my badges on. My priorities lie on getting the shoulders, headpiece or the chest. Items I look out for are items that have spellpower/crit and haste together. So we could call them caster dps stats. It depends if I get any similar item in a raid since if I did I could wait with purchasing the tier for the slot and spend the badges on an item that needs an upgrade. The reason I want those stats is because the most important thing is the healing output. There is not the same amount of skill involved like with maybe priest healing because in extreme situations all a holy paladin can do is use the stats he has to make sure the tank survives the big hits. Also since paladins have no hots the haste helps getting heals of on players in need before they die or before another healer notices them. The crit is there just to make sure that there is a steady amount of crit since it not only gives mana back but increases the healing output by a large margin. The int is there just to regen the mana using DP and Replenishment.

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 3:42 pm
Officer (Retired)

Hey Katriná,

Thanks for your thoughtful answers so far. What I'm about to write isn't meant as a criticism or provocation, but perhaps as a bit of a challenge or something to think about in hopes of improving your game.

As stat priority you gave

Quote:
Int > Haste > SP > Crit > mp5

which I partially agree with and partially don't. Int is rightly our king of stats (throughput! longevity! regen! everything!), and Haste is our strongest throughput stat, but the relative ranking of SP, Crit, and Mp5 seems a bit outdated. I would personally choose this:

Quote:
Int > Haste > Mp5 > Crit > SP

Spellpower for us is like intellect for a caster DPS: you don't really gem or gear for it, because you know that if you have level-appropriate gear, there will be enough SP on it that you never have to worry. For us, this is especially true given the massive scaling from Holy Guidance. If you doubt me, run a meter in any healing situation—5-player, 10-, or 25-player—and see how much overheal you do. The size of our heals is not the problem; in PvE, things like the SP flask or the Glyph of SoL just go straight to overheal.

Far more important is how often Holy Light lands and whether or not we have enough mana to cast it. Hence the focus on haste (I have 801 and wish I had more). Holy paladin throughput is a function of heal speed, not heal size.

With more haste, though, comes the need for better regen to sustain a faster rate of mana consumption. Intellect is the best regen stat. The debate has raged for a while, but it's generally now accepted that post-Illumination nerf, Mp5, with 50 Mp5 per item stat point, is a better regen stat than critical strike rating, which results in only 31 Mp5 per item point. (Ample evidence in the thread linked.)

I personally would choose Haste/Mp5 pieces first, followed by Haste/Crit pieces, followed by Crit/Mp5 pieces. And I would always, always use the Mp5 flask, except in situations where overhealing is truly impossible and every point of effective healing done counts.

Okay, enough rambling from me. I'm putting this question to all of the healing applicants: you are "healz captain" (no such thing in the Path) doing assignments for the 25-player version of Deathbringer Saurfang. You have one holy paladin, one resto shaman, two holy priests, and a tree.

1. Whom do you assign to do what?
    3. What are your thoughts about the usefulness of healing assignments in the first place? Under what circumstances would you deviate from yours?

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 6:51 pm

Thórva wrote:
Hey Katriná,

Thanks for your thoughtful answers so far. What I'm about to write isn't meant as a criticism or provocation, but perhaps as a bit of a challenge or something to think about in hopes of improving your game.

As stat priority you gave

Quote:
Int > Haste > SP > Crit > mp5

which I partially agree with and partially don't. Int is rightly our king of stats (throughput! longevity! regen! everything!), and Haste is our strongest throughput stat, but the relative ranking of SP, Crit, and Mp5 seems a bit outdated. I would personally choose this:

Quote:
Int > Haste > Mp5 > Crit > SP

Spellpower for us is like intellect for a caster DPS: you don't really gem or gear for it, because you know that if you have level-appropriate gear, there will be enough SP on it that you never have to worry. For us, this is especially true given the massive scaling from Holy Guidance. If you doubt me, run a meter in any healing situation—5-player, 10-, or 25-player—and see how much overheal you do. The size of our heals is not the problem; in PvE, things like the SP flask or the Glyph of SoL just go straight to overheal.

Far more important is how often Holy Light lands and whether or not we have enough mana to cast it. Hence the focus on haste (I have 801 and wish I had more). Holy paladin throughput is a function of heal speed, not heal size.

With more haste, though, comes the need for better regen to sustain a faster rate of mana consumption. Intellect is the best regen stat. The debate has raged for a while, but it's generally now accepted that post-Illumination nerf, Mp5, with 50 Mp5 per item stat point, is a better regen stat than critical strike rating, which results in only 31 Mp5 per item point. (Ample evidence in the thread linked.)

I personally would choose Haste/Mp5 pieces first, followed by Haste/Crit pieces, followed by Crit/Mp5 pieces. And I would always, always use the Mp5 flask, except in situations where overhealing is truly impossible and every point of effective healing done counts.

Okay, enough rambling from me. I'm putting this question to all of the healing applicants: you are "healz captain" (no such thing in the Path) doing assignments for the 25-player version of Deathbringer Saurfang. You have one holy paladin, one resto shaman, two holy priests, and a tree.

1. Whom do you assign to do what?
    3. What are your thoughts about the usefulness of healing assignments in the first place? Under what circumstances would you deviate from yours?

1. I would assign the paladin to only maintankhealing. Priest A supports the paladin with maintank healing. Priest B heals the raid together with the druid.
2. The paladin puts the beacon on the first mark and keeps healing the MT. Priest B overtakes the second mark. Hopefully there should not be another one but if there would be one I'd let Priest A take it. While focusing on their new task both priests still keep an eye on their old targets. So for example Priest A may shield, renew and pom the tank and maybe a penance if there is time. Priest B may shield and pom raid members as well if there is the need.
3. I think assignments are important since it is the reason why team work is crucial in a raid environment. I would hardly ever leave my healing target except I am told to or there are players close to me who are going extremely low and I am noticing that their healer is having too many difficulties.

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 7:29 pm
Officer (Retired)

Holy priests can't use Penance, but that's just a detail. I don't know what you use for raid frames, but you might want to look into Grid Mana Bars if you use Grid: it's an addon for the addon that allows you to see how much mana your fellow healers have. I find that can be important information in healing-hectic situations like Saurfang.

Accepted for trial: whisper me, Zalmoxis, Ekhan, Nimoe, Kainé, or Marrowchill for a ginvite.

2010 Mar 19 (Fri) 8:12 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]